Challenges and Opportunities
Usage of on-premises MySQL database (Corsense database) for years to store various types of data, such as customer details, product inventories, and sales transactions.
However, due to the increasing amount of data and growing customer base, the current database can no longer support the client’s business needs. Thus, they decided to migrate their data from the on-premises MySQL database to Azure SQL Server, a cloud-based database management system to perform analytics around data for better customer acquisition and retention.
Data migration from an on-premises MySQL database to Azure SQL Server is a critical process that requires careful planning, execution, and validation.
- Assessing the source data in the Corsense database – We identified the most critical data elements and prioritized them for migration. We also mapped data between the two database systems and the required data transformations.
- Preparing the target environment – We used Azure SQL Server to set up the target environment. We optimized the database settings for optimal performance and scalability.
- Data Migration – The data is extracted from the Corsense database, transformed to meet the target database schema, and loaded to Azure SQL Server.
- Validation – We ensured that all the critical data elements are migrated correctly with no data integrity or consistency issues.
Finally, we conducted user acceptance testing to verify that the migrated data can be accessed by the end users without any issues. We also provided training and support to ensure a smooth transition and paved the way for getting accurate business insights.
Impact and Business value
- Reduction in time spent on data management tasks by 60%
- Reduction in the time required to process data by 40%
- Faster response time to market changes by 30%